What is Document Scanning Software?
Document scanning software is the interface that allows a computer user to communicate information to a scanner, which then converts a paper document into an electronic image.
Scanners are sold with document scanning software, which must be installed to correctly operate the equipment. Software bundled with a scanner generally allows users to specify preferences, including:
- resolution quality
- color, black and white, or grayscale scan mode
- single-page versus duplex scanning
Third-party imaging systems, such as AccuAccount, provide built-in features that enhance the use of scanning technology.
Types of Document Scanning Software
Document scanning software can be classified into several categories, based on the vendor and the product’s capabilities. Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) software performs the basic functionality that enables the conversion of a document into a digital file. However, because the document scanning software bundled with scanners is often rather limited, some users seek out other types of software to enhance both the scanning experience and management of electronic documents. That’s where a tool like AccuAccount comes in handy. In addition, there are other types of document scanning software that provide additional functionality, such as the ability to take advantage of optical character recognition (OCR).
Document Scanning Software in the Banking Industry
Banks generate a lot of documents, which is why document scanning software is vital for increasing efficiency and reducing the amount of archival space needed for paper files.
OEM software is rarely sufficient to provide adequate levels of efficiency, which is why many banks go one step further and use third-party scanning and imaging software. For example, AccuAccount contains a suite of scanning software tools for financial institutions to elevate efficiency while reducing paper:
- AccuPrint – Virtual printer that can “print” an email or other electronic document as a digital image into AccuAccount. The software also tags the document by owner and type and allows the user to choose the customer, account, or document tab in which to file it within AccuAccount.
- AccuImg – Desktop scanning software that allows a document imaging technician to create an electronic image of a single document, barcoded documents, and batch scanning without barcodes on a desktop scanner.
- AccuCapture – Works with a multifunction device scanner, using barcodes to automatically direct the placement of scanned documents within the correct file in the banking management system.
Imaging & Scanning Resources
Looking for more information on how to streamline your document scanning and imaging workflows? Be sure to check out our extensive resource library with free spreadsheets, whitepapers, and ebooks.
Browse our banking definitions page for more terminology.
Banks Audit & Exam Prep Study
TicklerTrax Exception Spreadsheet
TicklerTrax™ Exception Spreadsheet Downloaded 1,000+ Times Looking for a free spreadsheet to track your financial institution’s exceptions? TicklerTrax might be the perfect tool for you! We’ve taken some of the basic logic from our top-rated document tracking system and boiled it